João P. S. Catalão
University of Beira Interior (UBI)
Dept. of Electromechanical Engineering
R. Fonte do Lameiro
Roles in UBI:
Director of MSc in Electromec. Eng. (EUR-ACE label)
Director of Sustainable Energy Systems Lab
Scientific Area at INESC-ID:
RESEARCHER ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/I-3927-2012
GOOGLE SCHOLAR PROFILE: http://scholar.google.pt/citations?user=bM0wV1sAAAAJ
CURRICULUM DEGÓIS: http://www.degois.pt/visualizador/curriculum.jsp?key=7972698813280947
- PhD, University of Beira Interior, 07-2007
- MSc, Instituto Superior Técnico, 12-2003
- Licenciatura (5-year BSc), University of Beira Interior, 07-1998
- Power System Operations and Planning
- Hydro and Thermal Scheduling
- Wind and Price Forecasting
- Distributed Renewable Generation
- Demand Response and Smart Grids
- Portuguese Council of Engineers, Senior Member, since 11-2010
- IET, Member, since 03-2008
Involvement in Projects
Funding: € 5.259.445,00
- Assessment of Risk and Uncertainty in Large-Scale Integration of Distributed Generation and Demand-Side Management towards a Sustainable and Smart Grid, Ref. PTDC/EEA-EEL/118519/2010, FCT-Portugal, from 02-2012 to 01-2015.
Funding: € 133.000,00
- Weather Intelligence for Renewable Energies, Ref. WIRE, COST Action ES1002, European Science Foundation, from 03-2011 to 11-2014.
MC Substitute Member and WG 3 Member (Power Plants and Electrical Grid Management)
Funding: € 10.000,00
- Optimal Scheduling and Offering Strategies for Power Producers considering a Mixed Generation Portfolio, Uncertainty and Risk-Management, Ref. PTDC/EEA-EEL/110102/2009, FCT-Portugal, from 01-2011 to 12-2013.
Funding: € 89.500,00
- Open Field Laboratory for Certification of Small Wind Generators, Ref. 555687/2010-4, CNPq/MCT-Brazil, from 10-2010 to 07-2013.
Coordinator at UBI
Funding: € 152.290,00
- Intelligent Monitoring, Control and Security of Critical Infrastructure Systems, Ref. IntelliCIS, COST Action IC0806, European Science Foundation, from 03-2011 to 05-2013.
MC Substitute Member and WG 2 Member (Reliable Management and Control of Electric Power Systems)
Lecture courses 
Pedagogical texts 
Supervision of post-doctoral fellows 
- Optimum operation of energy systems in the smart grid structure considering variability of dispatchable/non-dispatchable sources and controllable loads, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. O. Erdinc, UBI and INESC-ID, 05-2014.
- Planning and operation of insular electricity grids with large-scale integration of renewables and demand-side management, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. A.W. Bizuayehu, UBI and INESC-ID, 03-2014.
- Risk-based generation scheduling optimization in insular networks with high penetration of non-dispatchable renewable sources, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. J.M. Lujano-Rojas, UBI and INESC-ID, 02-2014.
- Study of plug-in electric vehicle – demand response aggregator’s behaviour in electricity markets, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. M. Shafie-khah, UBI and INESC-ID, 11-2013.
- Robust control and optimization of distributed generation based smart micro-grids, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. S.R. Mohanty, UBI and Cie3-IST, 10-2012.
- Study of grid-connected wind energy conversion systems considering new power converters and new control strategies, post-doctoral fellow, Dr. R. Melício, UBI and Cie3-IST, 03-2012.
Supervision of theses 
- Development of power analysis, scheduling and operation tools in insular networks for the energy industry sector, PhD, A. De Bonis, UBI, 12-2015.
- Modeling a cooperation environment for flexibility enhancement in smart multi-energy industrial systems, PhD, M.Y. Damavandi, UBI, 12-2015.
- Development of numerical weather prediction models for renewable energy sources in the islanded power system industry, PhD, C.C. Soares, UBI, 12-2015.
- Using biomass as an energy alternative to the sustainability and competitiveness of Portuguese industry, PhD, L.J.R. Nunes, UBI, 07-2015.
- Energy storage systems for smart grids, PhD, E.M.G. Rodrigues, UBI, 07-2015.
- Contribution of cable losses in the investment analysis on efficient electrical equipment, PhD, J.A. Lobão, UBI, 07-2014.
- Factors influencing the strategic management of sustainable energy systems: risk and competitiveness, PhD, G.J. Osório, UBI, 07-2014.
- Optimal scheduling and offering strategies for hydro and wind power producers considering uncertainty and risk, PhD, H.M.I. Pousinho, UBI, 12-2012.
- Lightning protection of wind energy systems, PhD, R.B. Rodrigues, UBI, 01-2011.
- Dynamic models of grid-connected wind energy conversion systems, PhD, R. Melício, UBI, 07-2010.
- Monitoring and intelligent control of home energy consumption, MSc, T.D.P. Mendes, UBI, 06-2013.
- Importance of the proper operation of electromechanical equipment in a water treatment and supply company, MSc, J.F. Calais, UBI, 06-2013.
- Analysis of an investment project on nuclear energy in Portugal, MSc, P.T. Flores, UBI, 11-2011.
- Novel hybrid methodology to predict energy prices and wind power in the short-term, MSc, G.J. Osório, UBI, 07-2011.
- Energy micro-generation: technical and economic study under the new Portuguese legislation, MSc, S. Saraiva, UBI, 11-2010.
- Plastic injection machines: installation, protection and quality control, MSc, P.J.M. Esteves, UBI, 11-2010.
- Contribution to wind power investment decisions in Cape Verde, MSc, E. Freire, UBI, 07-2010.
- Study of components, control mechanisms and probabilistic reliability models of wind energy systems, MSc, D.S. Costa, UBI, 07-2010.
- Conversion of energy in small hydro systems: study of technologies and assessment of the hydroelectric potential, MSc, M.M.C. Correia, UBI, 09-2009.
- Maintenance of frequency converters within a power and automation company, MSc, N.M.F. Pinto, UBI, 09-2009.
- Hydroelectric system: hydraulic valves, synchronous generator and speed regulator, MSc, D.D. Almeida, UBI, 07-2009.
- New approach for the optimal scheduling of hydro systems: mixed integer nonlinear programming, MSc, H.M.I. Pousinho, UBI, 07-2009.
- Predicting wind power in the short-term using artificial neural networks, MSc, N.M.S. Martins, UBI, 10-2008.
- Cogeneration and trigeneration: study of technologies, legal framework and industry applications, MSc, H.E.F.S. Bicho, UBI, 09-2008.
Patents  ISI/Scopus indexed: 1
Books  ISI/Scopus indexed: 1
- J.P.S. Catalão (ed.), Proceedings of the 11th IASTED European Conference on Power and Energy Systems, ACTA Press, Napoli, Italy, ISBN: 978-0-88986-924-0, June 2012.
Indexed by: Scopus
- J.P.S. Catalão (ed.), Electric Power Systems: Advanced Forecasting Techniques and Optimal Generation Scheduling, CRC Press (TAYLOR & FRANCIS Group), Boca Raton, Florida, USA, ISBN: 978-1-4398-9394-4, March 2012. Available, for instance, at: amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.
Book Chapters  ISI/Scopus indexed: 2
Articles in Journals  ISI/Scopus indexed: 57
Papers in Conference Proceedings  ISI/Scopus indexed: 55
- J.P.S. Catalão, "New methodologies for optimization of hydrothermal power systems" (in Portuguese), PhD Thesis, UBI, December 2006.
- J.P.S. Catalão, "Short-term operational planning of hydroelectric power systems" (in Portuguese), MSc Thesis, IST, December 2003.
Other Scientific Achievements
Short Courses And Seminars 
- Organizer of the Seminar: "The growing need to manage the wind power production" (in Portuguese), UBI, May 2009.
- Organizer of the Seminar: "Challenges and opportunities in the energy sector in Portugal" (in Portuguese), UBI, May 2009.
Tutorials And Invited Lectures 
- Keynote Lecture, "Operating Spanish and Portuguese Power Grid with Significant Wind: Dynamics and Control Challenges”, 11th International Workshop on Large-Scale Integration of Wind Power into Power Systems, Lisbon, Portugal, November 2012.
- Invited Lecture, "Research in electric power systems for sustainability and competitiveness” (in Portuguese), Portuguese National Laboratory for Energy and Geology (LNEG), Lisbon, Portugal, December 2010.
- Invited Lecture, "Optimization in run-off river systems", 3rd International Workshop on Hydro Scheduling in Competitive Electricity Markets, Oslo, Norway, June 2008.
Sessions Chair 
Technical Committees 
- IASTED Technical Committee Member, Energy and Power Systems, period 2007-2012.
Theses Defense Committees 
General/Track Chair 
- Track Chair (Sustainable Engineering, Energy and Environment; Power Electronics and Power Systems), IEEE AFRICON 2013 Conference, Mauritius, 2013.
- General Chair, EuroPES 2012 — 11th IASTED European Conference on Power and Energy Systems, Napoli, Italy, 2012.
Conference Committees 
Editorial Committees 
Project reviews 
- Research Grant Council of Hong Kong
2013, 1 review; 2011, 2 reviews
- American University of Beirut, Lebanon
2013, 1 review
- Research Council of Norway
2012, 2 reviews; 2010, 2 reviews; 2008, 2 reviews
- Croatian Science Foundation
2012, 1 review
Book reviews 
- Wiley-IEEE Press
2011, 1 review
Award reviews 
- International Basil Papadias Award
2011, 3 reviews; 2009, 1 review
Journal reviews  46 Journals
Conference reviews  89 Conferences
Homepage updated on 7 June 2013